I think we’re cooking with gas…..mostly. All’s left to do now is try, use and abuse as they say. Just try to keep the abuse to a minimum for now eh?
I’ve got a couple of people set up with logins so far and I just ask those that I’ve contacted by email to give it a shot, and bear in mind we are still in the initial phase of this project. There’s bound to be bugs. Don’t call the exterminator yet though, it’s all learnin’, and all good.
What you see on the site (I hope) will not be significantly different from before, once you log in that is. The only real change is the addition of a menu item called “Family Info”. REMEMBER, that menu link only shows if you are logged in correctly. I good sign that you are logged in is that you will/should see a black bar running across the top of the web page, and in the top right corner of the bar will be you login name.
Accessible from that “Family Info” link will be the more private stuff, the reposting of Charles Reeves memoir (thanks Aurla) and a couple genealogical reports. One of the reports is my (Dwayne’s) pedigree report and the other is Joseph Sklapsky’s descendant report. Both of these reports are essentially trial runs, generated by my family tree software and plunked on the ‘net. Both can use some work, and LOTS of blanks filled in.
I not particularly pleased by either one, looks wise, but if I can get them to display properly for now I can add the lipstick later. I also don’t really want my pedigree chart up there on the site but as I say, it’s a beginning. I can tweak it all later. The important thing is that it’s up.
So back to the beginning:
- go to sklapsky.ca (duh, you’re probably already there if you’re reading this, but likely on the “Blog” page). click on the menu item titled “Welcome” if you are on the blog.
- once you reach that page on the left of the screen will be a box titled appropriately “Log In”.
- enter the ‘Username’ and ‘Password’ I sent you and press the “Log in” button. For those not registered you can register from here too, but for now I’d prefer to do it. If you can’t wait you are welcome to give it a shot, otherwise let me know.
- if your info is entered correctly it should take you to a “Your Profile” page. You can add info here, or change your password if you must.
- you should now see the “Family Info” link on the menu, and the original menu items. Press away and enjoy.
Please let me know if you have any problems with the site, I’ll see what I can do to tune it up. Or if you have info to add I’d be pleased to have it.
Anyone want to get on board drop me a note.